One of the most popular myths about quitting smoking is that you will automatically gain weight.
Smokers usually eat more than non-smokers. These increased calories are burned off through smoking. When you quit smoking, not only will food taste and smell better, but the extra calories will need to be managed to maintain your current weight.
HINTS TO KEEP YOU ON TRACK
- Keep healthy, low fat, low calorie food on hands like fruit or rice cakes – avoid snacking on foods high in sugar or fat
- Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet
- Exercise is essential for weight control – take up an activity that suits your interests and lifestyle.
- Drink lots of water - Water helps fill you up and keeps you hydrated
- Get plenty of sleep to energize your body
- Avoid alcohol, not only is it high in calories but it is usually consumed in places associated with smoking like bars
- Take up yoga or Pilates. Not only a good form of exercise, these disciplines can help you actively focus and relax